Description: Transzilla allows the user to speak or text in a word, phrase, or sentence and translate what was inputted into many different languages.
Keywords: Social Studies
Grade Level: 8th
- Available Platform: Android (1.6 and up)
- Cost: Free
- Size: 331KB
- Access: Standalone
- App Website: Android Market
- It is a language translation dictionary for 50+ languages.
- The app allows for phrases or a sentence, which makes it more efficient than a translation book when you want to know the meaning of or communicate more than just a common phrase.
- Misinterpretation of words and/or context of word, phrase, sentence.
- If you don’t speak the language the inputted text is being translate to, it is hard to check if the tone/message is stated correctly.
Possible Educational Use: I have a student who is very limited with English language since she just moved to the U.S. from China a couple of months ago. I have used Transzilla with her to translate key vocabulary words/phrases for social studies class.
Evaluation: I think the success of this idea must take into consideration the effectiveness this app has in helping me communicate with my student(s) whose first language is not English. Through student feedback, amount of class usage of app, and content assessments (both verbal and written) I will be able to gauge the success of this app.
Innovation of this app and New ideas in classrooms: This idea opens up a more efficient and effective way for me to communicate with my students who have limited English language and for them to easily look-up and/or translate words within class. This is an additional support that can help me differentiate for my students and increase communication so that more students can share their voice and understand the content/discussion more efficiently.
- Reviewed in Summer 2011